Meeting summary/notes from today's EPEL meeting 2010-02-12

Kevin Fenzi kevin at tummy.com
Thu Feb 18 21:37:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 13:44:20 +0100
Till Maas <opensource at till.name> wrote:

> Without having Reports or links to Meeting summaries from Meetbot, it
> is very hard to know what has changed.

I personally don't have time to generate any reports, and the old
scripts that Thorsten used are likely not going to work against
koji/bodhi.

Would you be interested in generating a new weekly report?

The meeting summaries are posted to this list, as well as being on the
meetbot site.

> I noticed that there seems to
> be no information about what happened to python-setuptools in EPEL or
> what would happen the next time a package is imported in RHEL, that
> existed in EPEL. Or for which other packages this already happened.

My understanding is that RHEL would import the most recent package from
EPEL and we would block it. Sadly this has not happened correctly in
the past.

> Also there was this discussion on the list and meetings about what
> exactly the package set in RHEL is, that EPEL does not conflict with,
> but there seems to be no real answer to this in the wiki, too.
>
> E.g. the FAQ only says to browse the SRPMS, but it's only some of the
> SRPMS:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#How_can_I_know_which_packages_are_part_of_RHEL.3F
>
> The policy says this:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies
> | EPEL packages must never conflict with packages in RHEL Base
> (Including | Advanced Platform).
>
> This might be the actual policy, but it still does not says which
> packages this includes and when I asked on this mailing list, even
> someone more experienced than me did not really know.

I have added clarification on this.

This is basically anything in the server or workstation for RHEL5, and anything in base RHEL4.
This would be ftp.redhat.com:/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/4/en/os
and ftp.redhat.com:/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Client and
ftp.redhat.com:/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server.

> Btw. this FAQ entry also contains some broken wiki syntax:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/FAQ#What_is_the_policy_on_updates_for_packages_in_EPEL.3F

It's a wiki. Can you not fix such things when you see them? ;)
I just removed that broken include and pointed to the real doc.

> Then as you already mentioned, the Schedule probably only contains
> outdated content:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/Schedule

Cleaned up.

> I don't know, I only experienced that both conflicted.

Added some more wording.

Any help cleaning up wiki pages is very welcome.

kevin