puppet update broken?

Dennis J. dennisml at conversis.de
Fri Mar 12 21:47:59 UTC 2010

Hi,
I just installed a new machine in our infrastructure but I can't get the
puppet package to work. I see it has recently been updated to 0.25.4 while
the previous version i EPEL was 0.24.8. The other machines that are still
running 0.24.8 are all doing fine but on the one with the new puppet
version I just get a "Reopening log files" in the syslog. On the other
machines this is followed by "Starting Puppet client version 0.24.8" but on
the new one nothing happens.
Starting puppet manually with "puppetd --no-damonize -d" looks good but
ends with the following output:
debug: /File[/var/lib/puppet/ssl/public_keys]/ensure: created
debug: /File[/var/lib/puppet/ssl/private]: Changing ensure
debug: /File[/var/lib/puppet/ssl/private]: 1 change(s)
debug: /File[/var/lib/puppet/ssl/private]/ensure: created
debug: /File[/var/lib/puppet/ssl/certs]: Changing ensure
debug: /File[/var/lib/puppet/ssl/certs]: 1 change(s)
debug: /File[/var/lib/puppet/ssl/certs]/ensure: created
debug: Finishing transaction 23882872773280 with 12 changes
info: Creating a new SSL key for wsuptf01.tmm.cvsn.de
warning: peer certificate won't be verified in this SSL session
warning: peer certificate won't be verified in this SSL session
info: Creating a new SSL certificate request for wsuptf01.tmm.cvsn.de
warning: peer certificate won't be verified in this SSL session
warning: peer certificate won't be verified in this SSL session
warning: peer certificate won't be verified in this SSL session

After that nothing happens.

I also noticed that the previous version has been deleted on the EPEL
servers. Was this intended? That makes any rollback to a previous version
impossible in case someone updates his machines and runs into similar problems.

Regards,
   Dennis