puppet update broken?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 22:37:32 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 2:47 PM, Dennis J. <dennisml at conversis.de> wrote:
> Hi,
> I just installed a new machine in our infrastructure but I can't get the
> puppet package to work. I see it has recently been updated to 0.25.4 while
> the previous version i EPEL was 0.24.8. The other machines that are still
> running 0.24.8 are all doing fine but on the one with the new puppet version
> I just get a "Reopening log files" in the syslog. On the other machines this
> is followed by "Starting Puppet client version 0.24.8" but on the new one
> nothing happens.

A bad part of this our fault. We need to send out FLAG days on certain
packages (puppet being one of them) when an update goes into testing
and when it goes into production.

A second bad part is we do not keep many old versions of our packages
around due to limits on resources on our part.

Part of this is due to how puppet upstream works. Puppet only gives a
partial guarantee for backwards compatibility between 'major' version
upgrades (and only on the server), and the puppet recommended way of
upgrades is always:

Upgrade the server first, Upgrade the clients next.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.

-- Robert Browning