EPEL6 When to go out of Beta?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Tue Nov 16 00:22:58 UTC 2010

Once upon a time, Kevin Fenzi <kevin at scrye.com> said:
> In the meeting today we discussed when to move EPEL6 out of beta, now
> that RHEL6 final is out. In the past we had said "when CentOS6 is out",
> mostly in order to give time after final to build things up, etc.

Why should EPEL wait for CentOS?  If there is a valid reason to wait
some time, that should be used as the metric, not when another group
gets their release done (this gets back to my "is EPEL's primary target
RHEL or CentOS - it can't be both" question from a few months back).

> b) 1 month after RHEL6 was released.

Is there a particular reason to wait?  Is specific additional testing
being done, with results being used to determine overall status?

If not, I don't see any reason to wait, especially an arbitrary period
of time.  Release it now.

Some things may not be there at release time, but again, unless EPEL is
going to be held up for those packages, there's no point in waiting.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>