Broken URL for epel-release, strategy for the future

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Wed Sep 1 21:12:35 UTC 2010

On Wednesday, September 01, 2010 03:56:04 pm Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 13:37, Tony Yarusso <tyarusso at nagios.com> wrote:
> > So as background, our product's installation script contains a line
> > which reads:
> > rpm -Uvh
> > http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/i386/epel-release-5-3.noarch
> > .rpm
>
> Hi tony.
>
> Thanks for the feedback and reminding us know that some people rely on
> us. We will see if our push stuff can create a more permanent link you
> could aim at to get the release better.

there is not an easy way to provide a permanent link.

the best fix would be for your script to write out a yum repo file for epel and
do a yum install of epel-release. This also removes the single point of
failure that is the single download.fedora.redhat.com server.  alternatively
you could have a copy of epel-release that you host on your own servers  then
if we update the package a yum update will get the latest version.  however i
do believe using yum and the epel repo is the most reliable way to move
forward.

I guess you could also use rsync or ftp to get the latest copy and install it
also.  but again using the mirrorlist and a yum repo to me seems best

Dennis