clamav-db vs. clamav-filesystem

Jan-Frode Myklebust janfrode at tanso.net
Sat Apr 16 12:51:03 UTC 2011

On 2011-04-16, Anssi Johansson <clamav at miuku.net> wrote:

> My concern is that the clamav-db package is forced down my throat. I do
> not want to use clamav-db, because the virus database in it will always
> be outdated.  The clamav-data-empty package was very neat in this regard
> as it satisfied clamav's requirements but didn't interfere with
> downloading the virus database updates with freshclam.
>
> What was the rationale for making clamav depend on clamav-db =
> 0.97-12.el5, instead of the previous dependency of data(clamav), which
> was provided by both clamav-data-empty and clamav-data?

The rationale was probably to clean up the mess with way too many
sub-packages in the old packaging. In the new clamav-db the
virus database is marked as %config(noreplace), so it will not
overwrite your updated virus-database. That should hopefully mean
that there's not much point in also providing a clamav-db-empty..

Agree ?

  -jf