Mock problem in EPEL 5?

Jonathan Underwood jonathan.underwood at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 16:12:13 UTC 2011

On 22 August 2011 16:59, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> I'm surprised this builds at all in mock: it's trying to give away ownership
> of the file to root, which is a privileged operation. If you patch it not to
> try to do "-o root -g root" then it should work OK, and the resulting files
> will be owned by root anyway.

Looking a little closer at the install script, it actually performs a
check to see if it is running as root, and if not doesn't set those
owner/group permissions - in other branches, this check works
correctly. So the question is, why does mock in EPEL 5 run as root,
but not in EPEL6 and Fedora? This seems like a bit of a security
issue!