EPEL conflicts with RHEL channels (was: Possible new maintainer)

David Juran djuran at redhat.com
Fri Jul 29 08:46:26 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-07-29 at 10:04 +0200, Matthias Saou wrote:
> Todd Zullinger wrote :
>
> > David, do you know if the MRG folks have issues with facter and puppet
> > in EPEL?  As I said, those packages have been in EPEL for years, so
> > I'm not sure there's anything to be gained by trying to block them at
> > this point.  We're already way past MRG in terms of NVR's.  But if
> > there are ways we can help alleviate issues for MRG users, I'm game to
> > try.
>
> I seriously hope MRG will be ignored here : No one using puppet today
> will be interested in the old packages it ships, and as you mentioned in
> another post, upstream is *very* active and many people are tracking
> the releases very closely (me included).

Well, there's always is the possibility of doing various packaging magic
that would allow parallel install or at least cause a package conflict
which would prevent accidental upgrade. But as I mentioned in my
previous email, not sure if there is much point in doing this for this
particular case any more.

--
David Juran
Sr. Consultant