Paths dilema

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 16:37:38 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 06:27:32PM +0300, Marian Marinov wrote:
> Hello,
> I'm preparing my own software source RPMs for inclusion into EPEL-5.
> My software is similar to fail2ban but it also includes a nice web interface.
>
> While I'm distributing this software with my own commercial products I ship
> the software in two packages. One for the software and one for the javascript
> library that I use in the web interface(ExtJS/Sencha). I do that because I
> have other web interfaces using the same javascript library.
>
> I talked with wolfy on irc and I have a dilema about how to organize the
> package for the EPEL repository.
>
> Should I continue to have the javascript library as a separate package?

Yes, that would be quite nice.

> Also if it is a separate package, what would be the appropriate place for the
> files?
>
> Since it is a library it should be under /usr/lib, but since it is only web
> related, maybe the better place would be under /var/www.
> In either case my application should have a symlink to the directory in order
> to work.

/usr/share (%{_datadir} in an rpm spec file)

Look at the MochiKit package for one example:
http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=MochiKit.git;a=tree

Also look at
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/JavaScript_libraries_packaging_guideline_draft
for some more current ideas (This is just a draft so it's not to be taken as
MUSTs for now, though.)

> Also if it is under /var/www wolfy mentioned that it would be best if it is
> not web accessible, what are your toughs about that?

It should not be under /var/www... Use the apache.conf to set it up to be
served.

-Toshio