Request for OpenNebula

Jaime Melis j.melis at fdi.ucm.es
Tue Mar 8 14:14:59 UTC 2011

Hello,

thank you all for your quick feedback.

I think the reverse question is also true, are you available to be a
> maintainer for Fedora or EPEL? For software like this, it is much
> better if upstream is working on doing this as they can fix issues
> there versus a long game of pass the bug.

Yes, absolutely. For example we work very tightly with the maintainer of the
Debian and Ubuntu packages (Damien Raude-Morvan). When he reports a bug or a
patch to improve the code we generally apply it upstream for the next
release, and we also provide testing. We intend to do the same with
EPEL. However, we would like the support of an EPEL maintainer, since it
takes time to learn procedures and to learn how to write *good* spec files.

Changing subject:

I've been trying to compile OpenNebula from source in RHEL 6 with EPEL 6
enabled, but I haven't been able to do it, the problem, as always, is
xmlrpc-c.

To compile it we need the xmlrpc-c-devel package, which provides the '.h'
files necessary for compilation. Or, we can rebuild the xmlrpc-c package
from the 'src.rpm'  but I haven't been able to find it. Why isn't it
provided in EPEL?

I believe the problem here is that I don't fully understand the workflow.
What I can't understand is how are other packages using the xmlrpc-c
package? since it only provides the dynamic libraries, they can't be used
unless the package has been compiled with the '.h' files, but those files
aren't provided with other epel packages so they can't be listed as build
dependencies.

Regards,
Jaime