Re: collectd major upgrade problem

On Sun, 2012-08-12 at 13:15 +0800, Christopher Meng wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Now I want to update this software in epel6 from 4.x to 5.x.
>
> But I found that the most important thing I must do is to migrate old
> data format to the new one.
>
> I don't know this upgrade is possible or not, but I hope successful,
> even though the spec file is the most difficult thing to handle.
>
> I also feel happy that the official wiki contains a migration guide
> [1].It has already given a script of data migration. See [2] for
> details.
>
> Unfortunately I don't know this script is helpful or we should do
> enhancements on it in order to match the guidelines(and fix some
> unknown errors).Therefore can anyone do me a favour,help me test the
> script?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> [1] http://collectd.org/wiki/index.php/V4_to_v5_migration_guide
>
> [2]
> http://git.verplant.org/?p=collectd.git;a=blob;hb=master;f=contrib/migrate-4-5.px

I'd strongly recommend against forcing a major version upgrade in EPEL.
If you want to package the 5.x version, I'd recommend packaging it
separately as collectd5 (or collectd5x, etc.) which would Conflicts with
collectd. Then people can choose to migrate to it at will, rather than
be forced to jump to an incompatible version (which violates EPEL
policy)[1].

[1]
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL/GuidelinesAndPolicies#A_major_version_update