Re: RFC: Rethinking EPEL at FUDcon Lawrence 2013

On 12/06/2012 03:02 PM, Ken Dreyer wrote:
On Thu, Dec 6, 2012 at 3:33 PM, Joe Julian <joe julianfamily org> wrote:
Having an epel-N-rawhide repo would be one easy way to allow packagers to
present the best of their package while leaving a stable repo to minimize
the amount of maintenance required by an admin.
>From my perspective the epel-testing repo fills this gap somewhat. The
advantage to epel-testing is that I can get newer packages, and it is
very clear to me what is heading towards stable. We even have feedback
mechanisms already in place to support communication back to the
maintainers.

However many intermediate repos we put in place, these unstable
updates *have* to be allowed to go into epel-stable eventually.
Otherwise, we put epel-stable users at risk for unpatched security
flaws.
My point is, we already do. If an admin has to lock their packages to specific versions to keep their system working, then they are not going to be getting security updates.