Long-term package versions (RHEL 5+ extended to 10 years until EOL)

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 03:21:45 UTC 2012

On 7 February 2012 15:57, Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> wrote:
> On 02/01/2012 11:52 AM, Adam Miller wrote:
>> just that we continue along with
>> challenges we face today
>
> 'Just' is always tricky in these situations.
>
> I've been chatting with the Bugzilla packager on Bugzilla ('sup dog)
> about this, and I think it's worth talking about policy.
>
> EPEL6 currently ships Bugzilla 3.4, a branch that's about to become
> abandoned upstream.  Xavier has been doing backports of security fixes
> to 3.2 (EPEL5) and could conceivably do this for 3.4 for a while, but
> doing this for the next 8 years is a tall order.
>
> The problem with the backports approach is that backporting difficulty
> doesn't scale linearly.  Backporting a patch at year 1 is probably
> pretty easy - at year 10 it could be a major project.
>
> I think it's possible that the current EPEL policy may have been
> flirting with the edge of what is possible with volunteers and adding a
> significant time extension to that could push it over.  Redhat has
> decided that it will pay its employees to make this happen for their
> [smaller] set of packages.  I don't think it necessarily follows that
> this is the right decision for EPEL.
>
> In the case of Bugzilla, EPEL policy, as I understand it, precludes the
> rebasing of 3.4 to 3.6, 4.0, or 4.2 branches because upgrade
> compatibility isn't trivially guaranteed.  The standard case would be
> satisfied by running the checksetup.pl script on upgrade, but certain
> extensions and customizations might cause that to fail.
>
> Xavier has entertained the idea of having a bugzilla36, bugzilla40, or
> bugzilla42 package for those seeking features, but that raises questions
> of usability 'yum install bugzilla??' and perhaps eventual abandonment
> of the 3.4 'bugzilla' package.

What I am doing with mediawiki is similar... and when mediawiki118
gets through a review process, 114,115 and 116 will be put in the
"goodbye" pile. Dealing with

yum install mediawiki

is a problem but I have come to the conclusion that having people at
least doing a "yum list mediawiki*" to help show what is available is
what I am aiming for.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
recommend pleasant. You may quote me."  —James Stewart as Elwood P. Dowd