Re: Long-term package versions (RHEL 5+ extended to 10 years until EOL)

On 02/09/2012 04:00 AM, Bill McGonigle wrote:
On 02/08/2012 09:46 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
* If you can't do a seemless upgrade, you move on to parallel installs
   like we are doing with mediawiki. Announce and try and get people to
   realize the flow and that they need to upgrade.

I like the general outline, though the 'announce' part might be a bit
tricky.  The biggest risk would be that people think they're getting
updates to their core package when they're not.

I like that too, and think it would be nice to have such a comprehensive list somewhere in the wiki. I also fear that the announce mails might miss their target and something involving yum would seem better to me. See below.

Several ideas that involve writing code came to mind, but the easiest
might be to do one more release of the base package and drop a cron.d
file in that tells root every day that he's running an maintained
package.  It won't get everybody but most conscientious admins watch
their cron output (and could easily turn it off if they decide to stay
with the base package).  EPEL could decide on a standard template to use.

Perhaps there's a better way to get word out to users?

Rather than a cron mail that could easily get lost, just like the announce mails, would there be any way to maintain a list of discontinued packages in the repo or repodata and have a yum plugin check against this list. I have no idea if it is at all possible to do that, I don't know what yum plugins are able to do or not, and how convenient/feasible it would do have such a list in the repo or repodatas.

Regards,
Xavier