Package built outside of the el6 branch

Mark Chappell tremble at tremble.org.uk
Wed May 23 07:16:47 UTC 2012

On 19 May 2012 10:15, Mathieu Bridon <bochecha at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 2012-05-18 at 11:22 -0600, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>> On Fri, 18 May 2012 17:18:40 +0800
>> Mathieu Bridon <bochecha at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> > Koji helpfully says it was built from the git commit 1d8afac... which
>> > is not in the fedora/el6 branch, but in the branch leading to f14+.
>> >
>> > I'm confused, how is that possible?
>>
>> I'm as puzzled as you as to why it's the -2 version tho. ;(
>> It shouldn't be... -1 is the one in git...
>
> I think the maintainer didn't do « fedpkg build » (or that would have
> generated a build for the current branch) but instead use « koji build
> dist-6E-epel git://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/... »

It was a chain build, I think I simply managed to find an obscure bug
in fedpkg.  It wasn't deliberate, I was trying to get a lot of
packages built for dependency chains.

> It's still very annoying, for example:
> - it's very confusing for someone looking at the repository

Yeah, I've submitted a clean build

> - it totally defeats the purpose of a potential FTBFS run (trying to
> build something different from what is in the distribution)

Actually in this case it doesn't, the only change was a version bump
for a rebuild.  But it had the *potential* for that.

> - it makes life harder for downstream consumers of Fedora who rebuild
> stuff out of our Git trees
> - it's generally bad for any kind of (automatic) process based on our
> Git trees

Yeah, it was a mistake plain and simple.

> Not sure what to do about it though, issuing an update just to
> synchronize the repos with Git seems overkill, but leaving them out of
> sync is not right. :(

Yeah I've rebuilt the package, I'll push the bodhi update when 6.3 appears.

Mark