Re: Backwards incompatible change: PowerDNS (2.9.x to 3.1.x)

On Nov 26, 2012 7:52 AM, "Ken Dreyer" <ktdreyer ktdreyer com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 8:43 AM, Lars Kellogg-Stedman
> <lars seas harvard edu> wrote:
> > There was some recent discussion about performing another major
> > version upgrade to Puppet (by moving the "puppet" package in EPEL from
> > 2.x to 3.x).  I hope *that* never happens.
>
> EPEL 6 will be around until November 2020. The upstream Puppet project
> will not maintain the 2.6.x branch for another seven years. Eventually
> we will have to upgrade.

Just to add a historical note: this was a point of contention during the founding of EPEL as well.  Some argued that maintainers should be required to backport fixes to the packages just like in RHEL.  Others argued that you could't require that sort of commitment from unpaid maintainers so the more Fedora style of upgrading to get fixes was appropriate.

The very first epel thread:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-February/thread.html#00004

Continued:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/epel-devel-list/2007-March/msg00001.html