Backwards incompatible change: PowerDNS (2.9.x to 3.1.x)

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Wed Nov 28 16:04:37 UTC 2012

Once upon a time, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> said:
> I would really like to point out a couple of things that goes with ANY
> 3rd party repository and people who use them should remember EVERY
> time they do a yum update:

Really, enterprise system admins shouldn't just be running "yum update"
and expecting everything to work.  I run "yum update" and say "n" to get
a list of all packages (because "yum list updates" doesn't show changed
dependencies) and see what will be applied.  Anything "critical" gets a
check (e.g. when Nagios was in the list recently, I check the version
number; it was more than a point release, so I checked the changelog and
visited the Nagios website to see if I needed to take any action).

This isn't anything new; I did the same type of checking on other OSes
(reading DEC's OSF/1^W^W^WTru64 patch kit release notes was a "fun"
afternoon).

This is especially true for packages from ANY volunteer repository, but
is also worth noting for paid-vendor supplied packages (Red Hat isn't
perfect either).
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>