Nagios looking for plugins in wrong directory?

Chris Adams cmadams at hiwaay.net
Thu Apr 18 18:26:45 UTC 2013

Once upon a time, Tim Wojtulewicz <timwoj at ieee.org> said:
> I recently installed the nagios, nagios-common, nagios-plugins, and a few
> of the nagios-plugins-* packages for EL6 from EPEL.  I've run into a
> problem where nagios can't find the plugins at all.  It gives me an error
> 127 when trying to find them, which from the nagios documentation means it
> thinks the plugins aren't installed.  After a bit of debugging, it appears
> nagios is looking for the plugins to be installed in
> /usr/lib/nagios/plugins whereas the nagios packages in EPEL install them
> all in /usr/lib64/nagios/plugins.  Creating a symlink from
> /usr/lib64/nagios to /usr/lib/nagios resolves that issue, but it doesn't
> seem to me that I should have to do that.

Check your resource file, /etc/nagios/private/resource.cfg.  The default
(as included in the EPEL RPM) has $USER1$=/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins, and
then your commands should all be $USER1$/check_foo.

> Once I resolved the "not found" problem, nagios moved onto a permissions
> issue.  Calling any plugin results in a 126 error code.  I've tried 'chown
> -R nagios:nagios /usr/lib64/nagios'.  This results in a lot of complaints
> that plugins need to be owned by root or should be setuid root.  The
> permissions on the plugins and all of the directories above seem like the
> nagios user should be able to run the scripts (i.e. everything has o+rx at
> least).

You've just blown away all the RPM-provided settings (which will break
things).  I would remove all your Nagios RPMs and re-install them to get
the correct permissions (if you know what you are doing, you can reset
ownership/permissions using the output of "rpm -Va nagios*").

The out-of-the-box RPM-provided config/settings work just fine, so
there's most likely a problem with the way you've configured Nagios.
--
Chris Adams <cmadams at hiwaay.net>