implementing a permanent epel-release URL

Today a system administrator at work asked me about the epel-release
package URL change, so the subject was back on my radar.

1. Assuming we could automate this, would releng be ok with having a symlink?

2. As far as implementation goes, would the mash utility be the right
tool to do this symlink?

- Ken