[et-mgmt-tools] Re: LiveCD installs

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Mon Jul 9 14:39:47 UTC 2007

adamwolf at feelslikeburning.com wrote:
> Silly me.  Sending the wrong script out.
>
> Attached is the proper script.
>
> Adam Wolf

This is a neat trick... while you could just serve up the kickstart in
question over http:// already, the IP address autodetection allows for
having one boot image for multiple cobbler system entries, and have them
discovered automatically.

In Cobbler 0.5.0, for those unfamiliar, you can do:

cobbler system add --name=xyz1234--mac=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF
--ip=192.168.5.10 --profile=foo1
cobbler system add --name=xyz1235 --mac=AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:EE
--ip=192.168.5.11 --profile=foo2

and in this case, the same modified rescue disk image could reinstall
the system appropriately depending on the recognized IP.
192.168.5.10 when booted would get "foo1" and 192.168.5.11 could get
"foo2".   Nice.

This gets us to most of where we want to be going with the full-on Live
CD -- which would probably additionally offer:
(A)  automatic MAC address detection in addition to IP detection
(B)  having one boot image for all distributions (the above requires a
distribution-specific image)

I'll include this in 0.5.1 ... if the full-on Live CD makes some of this
redundant, it won't hurt anything -- and more importantly, it's already
available :)

--Michael