[et-mgmt-tools] VM images

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Mon Jul 9 22:43:42 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-06-28 at 23:59 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 28, 2007 at 11:31:24AM -0700, David Lutterkort wrote:
> >
> > My intention was to have that all in the image tag:
> >
> > <image>
> >   <machine/>
> >   <machine/>
> >   <network/>
> >   <storage/>
> > </image>
> >
> > That way, the relative position of existing tags doesn't change, though
> > it's really not much of a difference. (Though I find having all the
> > storage in one place a little cleaner)
>
> So <storage> is a single top level grouping for multiple <disk> elements,
> while <machine> and <network> are multiple top level elements with no
> grouping.
>
> For consistentency perhaps we should either
>
>   - Kill <storage> and have <disk> at top level
>
> Or
>
>   - Add <machines>  and <networks>  for grouping the multiple machine
>     and network elements.

I don't follow this - yes, in the abstract it makes sense; but when I
look at an actual image.xml, having the storage element there seems to
make the XML clearer. I'd change it if that is seen as the crucial issue
keeping these patches from being committed. Otherwise, I'd prefer
leaving <storage> as it is.

> BTW, I thing <machine> is better called <domain> for consistency with the
> match the libvirt terminology.

Heh ;) I had that at some point and somebody objected to calling that
<domain> .. I'll change the code to use <domain>

David