[et-mgmt-tools] VM images

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Mon Jun 11 19:20:12 UTC 2007

Hi Mark,

On Sat, 2007-06-09 at 14:51 +0100, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
>   - Including vcpu, memory, graphics and nic in this metadata is mixing
>     up two things - the things the image need in order to boot and the
>     defaults recommended when instantiating a guest with the image.

Agreed; that would be much cleaner. I'll revise the patches

>   - The disk -> target mapping thing is pretty strange - I'd suggest
>     that the order the disks are listed in just specifies the target.

In the code, specifying a target is actually optional; it just seemed
more understandable to me to allow explicit mappings.

>     Is it hd/cdrom, make sure the boot disk is the first disk etc.
>
>       <loader disk="boot-hvm.img" />

Doesn't the CDROM always need to be hdc ? (at least that's what the
current virt-install code does) With that, you'd have some funky
out-of-order mapping.

>   - You don't have a human readable name for a UI that allows people to
>     choose from a number of images.

Oh, yeah; I'll add a label and description.

>   - From what I can see, you still have the ability to create a disk at
>     instantiation time, but not format it?

The more I think about it, the less this whole notion of 'instantiate
disk automatically' seems to make sense to me; will appliances really
detect that they'd been given a blank disk and then partition and format
it ?

It'd probably make more sense if the metadata could express what
partitions with what FS's should be on disks - then auto-creation of
scratch or user disks could actually be useful for appliance builders.

>   - If you added ImageInstaller support to virt-install, couldn't
>     virt-image almost just run virt-install rather than re-implementing
>     a lot of it? i.e. at a glance, it looks like you've forked
>     virt-install in order to have a version with a simpler command
>     line. I don't have a problem with virt-image, and the simpler
>     command line, it's the copied and pasted code I don't like.

Yeah, I had that same uneasy feeling; I'll go through and factor out as
much as I can.

>    - This looks odd:
>
> +    order = [ "xen", "kvm", "kqemu", "qemu" ]
> +    for o in order:
> +        if types.count(o) > 0:
>
>      i.e. it'd be better not to have to keep that list updated. How
>      about you just pick the first type? If libvirt doesn't order the
>      list of available types in a useful order, maybe it should?

Agreed; going just by the order in the metadata seems cleaner. If we do
that, then there's no need for libvirt ordering the types.

>    - You don't have a way of specifying the disk image should be
>      read-only.

Agreed, I'll try and stick that in there.

>    - Shouldn't we be copying even system disk images, unless they're
>      read-only, on instantiation - i.e. you should be able to run
>      virt-image multiple times.

I kinda left the issue of multiple instantiations of images out on
purpose, to keep the first cut simple, since they require a good deal of
book-keeping, too, to make image-based updates possible. In any event, I
think the user should still be able to override if copies are made or
not; to make this really usable you'd probably also want ot support an
image format that can do snapshot-based copies like qcow. At least on my
LAN, copying a few hundred megs of disk images around is no fun :(

David