[et-mgmt-tools] Issues With $tree...

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Mon Mar 12 14:27:23 UTC 2007

Ken Robson wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> When evaluating Cobbler I seem to be having problems with Cheetah
> substituting $tree in my /etc/cobbler/default.ks file.  In my
> /etc/cobbler/default.ks file I see:
>
>     # Use network installation
>     url --url=$tree
>     # If any cobbler repo definitions were referenced in the kickstart
> profile, include
>     them here.
>     $yum_repo_stanza
>
> In my /var/www/cobbler/kickstarts_sys/default/ks.cfg file I see:
>
>     # Use network installation
>     url --url=$tree
>     # If any cobbler repo definitions were referenced in the kickstart
> profile, include
>     them here.
>
> It appears that $yum_repo_stanza is being replaced (it is currently
> undefined in my set-up) but $tree is not resolving correctly.
>
> Thanks for any help and pointers.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Ken.

Thanks for the feedback...

It looks like you were using "cobbler import --mirror" on a DVD
location, or perhaps the older "cobbler import --path".   Which was it?

If it was "--mirror", that code, being designed for public rsync mirrors
and not DVD's, likely did not have enough information to pick a good
kickstart for the distro you used.   If it was "--path", that code
doesn't auto-assign kickstarts at all.   Basically cobbler uses known
pieces of the path, which are found on all public mirrors, like "FC-6"
or "RHEL-4" to determine what the distro is and to assign a good
kickstart to that distro.

Either way, you can edit the profile file (/var/lib/cobbler/profiles) to
add in a tree location to use.    It's another element of "ksmeta" and
just needs to have a value like
"http://server/cobbler_track/path/to/files/os" or equivalent.

I'll go back and see if the kickstart assignment code can be tweaked to
better suit the DVD import cases.