[et-mgmt-tools] kickstart file specified in distro (rather than profile)?

Msquared cobbler at msquared.id.au
Fri Mar 23 06:57:48 UTC 2007

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 10:41:20AM -0500, Michael DeHaan wrote:

> >Can I specify a kickstart entry in the distro?  This would be the default,
> >which I could override for each profile I create.

> It belongs in the profile. A kickstart explains /how/ a distribution
> should be installed, not /what/ distribution should be installed.

I don't disagree, but it occurs to me that the kickstart can also explain
what /parts of/ a distribution should be installed (via %packages), so in
part it is explaining /what/ (albeit not what /distribution/).

I still think that you should be able to specify a default kickstart file
to associate with the distro (since in a given installation it may be
likely that /how/ is the same for all of the configurations, and you only
want to customers /what parts/ are installed, via the profile).

Or perhaps an ability to build a profile on top of another profile and
just customise some of it?  Or another layer above or below profiles?
Perhaps 'customisation' or something?

> >I ask because I notice the kickstart option to cobbler profile add is
> >optional.

So what kickstart is used if the option is not given explicitly in
'cobbler profile add'?

Regards, Msquared...