[et-mgmt-tools] kernel_options in /var/lib/cobbler/settings

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Wed May 2 16:11:10 UTC 2007

Marc Mondragon wrote:
> I know this area of cobbler has changed a bit and I'm trying to figure the best way to do the following:
>
> 1. Add serial console settings to this file in order to have them appended properly to the tftp boot files.
> 2. Have the serial console setting only apply to server installations, not workstation installations?

(1)  To do this across the board, you just edit
/var/lib/cobbler/settings ... though it sounds like you have something
better in mind by (2).

(2)   To do this to just some machines, it looks something like this...

When adding a cobbler profile, do something like this:

        cobbler profile add --name=serverprofilename --distro=distroname
--kopts="console=ttyS0,57600"

And for the workstation profile, don't add the same "--kopts"...

        cobbler profile add --name=workstationprofilename
--distro=distroname

If you already have profiles you like defined, cobbler allows for
editing now, so you can tweak an existing profile to add the serial
console magic...

        cobbler profile edit --name=serverprofilename
--kopts="console=ttyS0,57600"

So, any time you provision based on the "serverprofilename" profile,
you'll get the serial console, and in other cases, you won't...

Hope that helps...

--Michael