Re: [et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler features

On Wed, 16 May 2007, Michael DeHaan wrote:

Based on recent list activity, and a talking with everyone at Summit and IRC, here's my list of the top 4 things I'd like to see added to cobbler in the near term:

-- Virt support for deploying additional virt types
   KVM, etc
   Fullvirt Xen

-- Extend the repo management code to deal with older non-yum content (RHN), like mrepo can do, such that running mrepo as a seperate tool for older distros is not required.

-- Build a netinstall CD from cobbler for environments that don't do PXE. Tie the CD to a specific profile (or better, eventually, provide a boot menu). Lots of folks need baremetal provisioning and due to aspects beyond their control can't use PXE.

-- Support either om_shell or DNSMasq, to avoid the dhcp reload wait time when manage_dhcp is enabled and systems are updated. (Some folks I believe are looking at both of these?)

If there's something you'd like to see added feature-wise, I'd be glad to hear ideas.

--Michael

 -- make sure everything runs on RHEL4 from start.  Don't Fedoraize
 cobbler.