[et-mgmt-tools] cobbler git: multiple interfaces + hostnames

Al Tobey tobert at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 20:35:16 UTC 2007

For those who aren't tracking the git version of cobbler, it includes
support for multiple interfaces.

Currently, cobbler has a "hostname" field for every interface.   This
is confusing and incorrect.   Every host has exactly one hostname, so
"hostname" should be a system field.    It may make sense to change
hostname in the interfaces to dns_name, alias, or something similar,
but it is not a hostname.   If I were crafting the tool towards my
specific situation, I'd drop "name" and just have "hostname" on the
system, then optional support for dns names on interfaces (which I
could then forward into DNS).

If I weren't already working on authorization support, I'd write the
patch ;)   That and I think this may require a little discussion
before the right approach shakes out.

-Al