[et-mgmt-tools] Cobbler/Koan ignores my virt-bridge settings

Miguel Costa miguel.costa at neoscopio.com
Thu Nov 15 17:30:58 UTC 2007

Michael DeHaan wrote:
> Miguel Costa wrote:
>> Hello all!
>>

>> However, I can't install virtual-machines on machine1, using koan and
>> cobbler on the same machine, and I think the problem is that the
>> newly created virtual-machines cannot connect to cobbler.
>>

> The virtual machines themselves don't need to connect to cobbler, so
> that can't be it...
You're right, I meant to the dhcp and install tree managed by cobbler

>> Koan creates the virtual-machine and starts it, but then it either
>> gets stuck waiting for an address (CentOS5 distro) or just shuts down
>> (F8 distro).
>
> Koan keeps some logs in ~/.koan/koan.log that includes output from
> libvirt that may help explain what is going on.
It just logs  "Creating guest from" and then the xml configuration,
which seems ok except for the bridge being xenbr1 instead of xenbr0, and
then "Saving XM config file '# Automatically generated xen config file",
and the file that gets saved in /etc/xen.
> Is it possible you are not serving
> DHCP on the bridged interface in question?
It's serving on eth0 - if I could change the virtual-bridge to xenbr0,
it should work, right?
> That doesn't really explain the shutdown though, but there may be
> something in the log.
Yes, but only Fedora 8 shuts down. CentOS 5 just can't connect to the
(virtual) network.

> In practice, it seems KVM works better than Xen on Fedora, at least
> for me.
>

>> I have two network interfaces - eth0 is the internal interface,
>> connected to machine2 -  dhcpd and tftpd are only listening here.
>> eth1 is the outgoing interface.
>>
>> I modified xen-config.sxp according to the docs, creating
>> network-xen-multi-bridge  in order to create two bridges instead of
>> one, and that seems ok also.
>>
>> In /var/lib/cobbler/settings, I have default_virt_bridge: xenbr0
>>
>> In the virtual machines profile, the default virtual bridge is xenbr0
>>
>> When I run koan, I include --virt-bridge=xenbr0
>>
>> However, when I look at the generated virtual machine profiles in
>> /etc/xen, it always selects xenbr1! (e.g. vif = [
>> 'mac=00:16:3e:74:a9:3a, bridge=xenbr1', ])
>
> To confirm, koan is also at version 0.6.3?
Oops! "It's the version mismatch, stupid!" :)

I must have installed cobbler from epel-testing and koan from epel...
(blushing)

It's working now, thanks!

Miguel
--