[et-mgmt-tools] Virt-Manager: Supporting additional para-virtual OS's

David Lutterkort dlutter at redhat.com
Thu Nov 15 21:59:37 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-11-15 at 12:13 -0800, Robert Nelson wrote:
> I looked at virt-image but it seemed to be based on having an "already
> installed" version of the source image.

The source image would be the install media - you'd have an image.xml
that is set to boot off the install CD and gets an additional virtual
disk (xvda, hda, ..) that it will install into. Once the install is
complete, you'd still need to boot the guest off its own libvirt XML.

> Also I didn't see any way to specify different configuration settings
> for the "install phase" versus the "normal execution".

This would only be for the install phase - virt-install/virt-image still
need to know that they are doing an install, and generate 'normal'
libvirt XML that the guest boots off after installation.

> Unfortunately neither virt-image nor virt-install provide the ability
> to specify the target device.

virt-image XML does have a mapping of disk files to target devices.
You're right though that virt-install will just assign target devices
based on the order in which disk files are specified.

David