[et-mgmt-tools] koan-0.6.3-3.el4.mrh - kix templating - network rebuilt issue

Michael DeHaan mdehaan at redhat.com
Mon Nov 26 21:42:40 UTC 2007

Tom Brown wrote:

>> Ah, simple then.
>>
>> It sounds like you've assigned your IP's and network info to system
>> objects, and are passing a /profile/ name to koan, perhaps?
>>
>> This means that the profile object itself has no idea what those
>> variables should be.
>>
>> Try passing in the system instead, or optionally use a DHCP kickstart
>> for profile based deployments.   (Using Cheetah games, if you like,
>> you can detect that the ip isn't set and fall back to DHCP... though
>> I'm not sure if you want that.   I'm throwing it out there though).
>>

> to install a box i 'add a system' yes and this is given network
> information and all works fine. On the reinstall using koan i pass the
> -p <profilename> so that the box gets rebuilt to a different profile,
> ie in my case different OS version. Is that what you suspect i'm doing
> and is that 'wrong' ?

Yes, it's wrong because your kickstart is missing IP and MAC information
that is present when it's used on a per-system basis ... if you look in
/var/www/cobbler/kickstarts I suspect you'll see there are still variables
in the kickstart files.   If you compare that with the files in
/var/www/cobbler/kickstart_sys, you'll see that the variables that
correspond to the system object are filled in.

# koan --replace-self --system=name_goes_here

will make you use the system-specific kickstart, as opposed to the
profile specific-kickstart.

--Michael