[et-mgmt-tools] network configuration - Cobbler add versus ksmeta

Tom Brown tom at ng23.net
Tue Nov 27 16:52:22 UTC 2007

> You should just use the variables that are part of the interface since
> they are already made available for that purpose.
> As for why that is not working for you, a good place to start looking
> is at /var/www/cobbler/profiles/$name and
> /var/www/cobbler/systems/$name for a file that shows you all the
> variables expanded, just like they would be available in your templates.
>
> Then make sure you are using those same variables in your templates.
>
> Also look at the rendered kickstarts in
> /var/www/cobbler/kickstarts/$name and
> /var/www/cobbler/kickstarts_sys/$name and compare those to the
> templates you are using.
>
> Make sure that they look like you want in both cases.
>
> By looking at what variables you have available to use, and seeing how
> the kickstarts are actually rendered, it will become much more clear
> what is going on.
>
> You shouldn't have to do an install to debug the kickstart.
>
> Try "cobbler validateks" first, which will do a quick scan of your
> rendered kickstarts to see if they have the right syntax.
>
> After that, look at them manually and compare the two, to understand
> what cobbler is generating from the templates.

thanks - below is what the rendered kix looks like for that system from
the /var/www/cobbler/systems/<systemname>

to me that looks correct as in the template the variables used are

network --bootproto=static --device=eth0 --onboot=on --ip=$ip_address
--netmask=$netmask  --gateway=$gateway --nameserver=$nameserver
--hostname=$hostname

and the rendered kix looks like the below - is there anything else i can
check ?

arch: x86
bootloaders:
    ia64: /var/lib/cobbler/elilo-3.6-ia64.efi
    standard: /usr/lib/syslinux/pxelinux.0
breed: redhat
default_kickstart: /etc/cobbler/default.ks
default_virt_bridge: xenbr0
default_virt_type: auto
depth: 2
dhcp_tag: default
dhcp_tag_intf0: ''
dhcpd_bin: /usr/sbin/dhcpd
dhcpd_conf: /etc/dhcpd.conf
distro: CentOS-4.5-i386
dnsmasq_bin: /usr/sbin/dnsmasq
dnsmasq_conf: /etc/dnsmasq.conf
gateway: '192.168.10.1'
gateway_intf0: '192.168.10.1'
hostname: box-2
hostname_intf0: box-2
httpd_bin: /usr/sbin/httpd
initrd: /var/www/cobbler/ks_mirror/CentOS-4.5-i386/images/pxeboot/initrd.img
interfaces:
    intf0:
        dhcp_tag: ''
        gateway: '192.168.10.1'
        hostname: box-2
        ip_address: '192.168.10.20'
        mac_address: '00:0C:29:71:D7:4D'
        subnet: '255.255.255.0'
        virt_bridge: ''
ip_address: '192.168.10.20'
ip_address_intf0: '192.168.10.20'
kernel: /var/www/cobbler/ks_mirror/CentOS-4.5-i386/images/pxeboot/vmlinuz
kernel_options: 'ksdevice=eth0 lang=  kssendmac
syslog=192.168.10.4:25150 text '
kickstart: /etc/cobbler/kickstart_CentOS-4.5-i386.ks
ks_meta: 'nameserver=192.168.10.4
tree=http://@@server@@/cblr/links/CentOS-4.5-i386 '
mac_address: '00:0C:29:71:D7:4D'
mac_address_intf0: '00:0C:29:71:D7:4D'