[et-mgmt-tools] cobbler-1.0.1-2 - build problem using koan

Tom Brown tom at ng23.net
Tue Jul 1 10:55:35 UTC 2008

> I cant use DHCP yet in my prd environment but i can use koan so i can
> have cobbler rebuild existing hosts.
>
> I have setup a cobbler server and added a test system to that but i
> encounter an issue when i try and build using koan in that after the
> client reboots and boots the 'kick' kernel it seems unable to get the
> kickstart as it starts to ask me which ethernet card to use and also
> then tries to do a DHCP request.
>
> If i hit the URL that generates the kickstart it seems fine and the
> network part looks like this apart from the xxxxxx and the
> 'cobbler.server' hostname
>
> # Use network installation
> url --url=http://cobbler.server/cblr/links/RHEL4-u5-i386
> # Network information
> network --bootproto=static --device=eth0 --onboot=on
> --ip=10.xxx.xxx.19  --netmask=255.255.254.0 --gateway=10.xxx.xxx.253
> --nameserver=10.xxx.xxx.117 --hostname=xxxxxxxx
>
> In the grub config on the client before i reboot i see this
>
> title kick1214906905
>    root (hd0,0)
>    kernel /vmlinuz ro root=LABEL=/
> ks=http://cobbler.server/cblr/svc/op/ks/system/xxxxxxxx
>    initrd /initrd.img
>
> and the 'cobbler.server' can be resolved from the client using the
> correct nameserver -
>
> Does anyone have any ideas whats going on as i am stuck?

i should perhaps point out that i i have manage_dhcp=0 in the
configuration so DHCP should not come into the equation. Also i have
since removed the cobbler server hostname and replaced it with an IP
incase this made a difference, it hasnt.

Using a different tty on the install process just before it asks me
about which ethernet card to use i can see it say 'getting kickstart
file' - If i boot the client i am trying to install back into its OS and
then wget on the kickstart URL it downloads fine.

still stuck....

thanks