[et-mgmt-tools] cobbler-1.0.1-2 - build problem using koan

Adam Rosenwald thestrider at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 11:20:11 UTC 2008

Tom Brown wrote:

>> Tom,
>>
>> Please provide the following info:
>>
>>     * What does /tftpboot/pxelinux.cfg/xxxxxxx look like (where
>>       xxxxxxxx corresponds to your system)?
>>           o Is xinetd (or standalone tftpd) running?
>>     * What does the host entry (corresponding to your system) in
>>       /etc/dhcpd.conf look like?
>>           o Is dhcpd running?
>>     * Are you 100% positive that there is an ethernet link on eth0 and
>>       not on some other NIC? (you may want to try setting
>>       ksdevice=link in your tftp boot file)?
>>     * Do you observe dhcp-related noise on the cobbler server
>>       (tcpdump, etc.) indicating that the provisioned system is
>>       communicating properly?  Are there any f/w's, vlan issues (you
>>       may need a dhcp helper address if your system is on a separate
>>       vlan than the cobbler server), etc. that might interfere with
>>       the boot process?
>>     * Can you provide a more detailed list of what shows up on the
>>       console during the boot process?
>>

> thanks but i am NOT using DHCP - this is rebuilding a current OS. As
> the install should happen over http is TFTP required? I imagine not
Yes.  DHCP is needed, since your system hasn't been assigned an IP
address and can only identify itself by MAC.  The network portion of
your kickstart file will ensure that a static IP will be assigned to
eth0 only AFTER the kickstart file has been downloaded.

    * Set 'manage_dhcp=1' in /etc/cobbler/settings (or
      /var/lib/cobbler/settings if using an older version of cobbler).
    * In the dhcp template file (/etc/cobbler/dhcp.template) ensure that
      you have configured a stanza for the subnet corresponding to that
      of your provisioned system.
          o E.g.
                + ...
                + subnet 10.x.x.x netmask 255.255.254.0 {
                       option routers          10.x.x.253;
                       option subnet-mask      255.255.254.0;
                       filename                "/pxelinux.0";
                       next-server             $next_server;
                  }
                + ...
          o Just be sure there are no 'range dynamic-bootp',
            'default-lease-time', or 'max-lease-time' statements, since
            you are probably concerned about dynamic IP assignments in a
            prod environment.
    * When provisioning your system with cobbler, specify *both* a MAC
      address *and* an IP address, so that the host stanza in
      /etc/dhcpd.conf is unique and not dependent upon dynamic options.

Give it a whirl and reply with any updates. :)

 - A.