[et-mgmt-tools] How do remote connections through virt-manager work?

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Fri May 23 10:07:23 UTC 2008

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 12:04:22PM +0200, Alexander Todorov wrote:
> Hi all,
> I've tried to use the remote connection option in virt-manager but it doesn't
> work for me.
>
> Hypervisor: Xen
> Connection: Remote tunnel over SHH
> Hostname: the hostname
>
> I have root access to the host. Versions on host & client are the same (same OS,
> xen, libvirt, etc.)
>
> The connection is not working, it is asking me if libvirtd is started on the
> remote host. Am I doing something wrong or this is a bug?

There are a number of reasons why this might not work.

Libvirt over SSH requires passwordless logins (eg. using ssh agent).
It also needs a netcat ("nc") program available on the remote side and
the netcat program has to support UDP sockets -- this isn't true on
Debian for example.

Take a look at the virt-manager log file (in /root/.virt-manager) for
more clues and also tell us what versions and operating systems you're
actually running.

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-p2v