[et-mgmt-tools] Re: [Thincrust-devel] RFC On importing raw images

David Huff wrote:
Bryan Kearney wrote:
We are starting to look at more interesting use cases around bringing in existing appliances into virt-manager. Joey has some interesting questions about driver, but I wanted to bring up an easier one.

Some of public appliances which exist are raw disk images which can easily be booted, but have no virt-image xml file. The user can of course manually create the file, but I think it would be nice to have the tooling help this. I could see one of the following solutions. Can folks pipe in with comments on these or another approach?

(1) Create an "interactive" mode for virt-image which prompts the user.

Doesn't virt install already have a kindaof an interactive mode for creating a new image?
I think Bryan's hinting at a way to import just an imagefile and the interactive portion fills in the blanks about the memory/etc

(2) Modify virt-image to allow for all data normally the xml to be passed at command line (example, add a --imagefile parameter)
(3)Create a simple pre-processor to achieve 1 or 2 above.

-- bk