[et-mgmt-tools] Re: [libvirt] virt-install and custom distros

Can the issue be addressed in the upcoming virtinst release?

Cole Robinson wrote:
Kay Williams wrote:
We have an application that builds custom distributions based on RHEL, CentOS or Fedora. We would like to install these over the network using virt-install, but we've run into an issue with the distro check logic. Specifically, virt-install fails unless it finds a string "Red Hat Enterprise Linux", "Fedora" or "CentOS" within the family field of the .treeinfo file.

Our application currently sets the family field to the user-provided distro name (see below). We have avoided using the base distro name given trademark concerns.

     [general]
     family = <user provided value>
     variant = <user provided value>

We can get virt-install to pass the distro check by setting the family name to one of the accepted values, e.g.

     [general]
     family = Fedora
     variant = [user provided distro name]

Is this the expected/desired use for the family and variant fields? Or is there another approach we should consider?

Thanks,
Kay

(cc-ing et-mgmt-tools, since that is the list for virt-install/
 virt-manager)

We shouldn't be failing if the family/variant is unknown: it's really
just a convenience check. We can just assume it's an unknown distro
and continue on, checking for [images-xen] and so on.. The code may
need to be reworked a bit to accomodate this.

Although we don't do it at the moment, I could see us in the future
using this family/variant value to check our internal db on whether
to set up virtio and other specific settings. So using custom values
here may not allow virt-install to choose an optimal config, but we
should still try and let the install proceed.

- Cole