[et-mgmt-tools] Looking for Guidance on Various virt-manager Bug Reports

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Sep 9 19:30:41 UTC 2008

Richard Laager wrote:
> A few weeks ago, I re-installed a server with Ubuntu Hardy and thus
> started using virt-manager for the first time. Previously, we were using
> VMWare Server. FWIW, we only have a couple of virtual machines running
> at the moment.
>
> In doing so, I filed a pile of bug reports. Some of these are trivial
> text nitpicks. Some are feature suggestions, etc. I'm looking for
> feedback on them. I should be able to write patches for at least the
> trivial stuff here, if not some of the more in-depth things, but I want
> to know that the *ideas* are good before I waste time implementing.
> (And, if they're stupid, let's close some bug reports!)
>
> You should be able to see them at the URL below. I used tinyurl because
> the Launchpad URL was several lines long when wrapped.
> http://tinyurl.com/6cwp7f
>
> I'll take comments here or on the bug reports, whichever you would
> prefer.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
>
> P.S. If some of these are distro-specific, I understand. The distro
> maintainer is short on time and suggested I come here because he can't
> afford to deviate from upstream much. Plus, many or most of these will
> apply upstream.

Hi Richard, thanks for showing interest in fixing these issues.

I skimmed through the list of bugs. Most of the default choice and
wording nits are certainly valid, and I'm sure most apply upstream,
so I'd be glad to take them. Some of the others are already fixed
upstream (virDomainDetachDevice error, adding virtio disks post
install, shutdown -> force poweroff).

In general, for non-critical bugs or feature suggestions, I would
suggest filing them with us upstream, under the 'Virtualization'
component in bugzilla.redhat.com. Ubuntu doesn't deviate much from
upstream for these tools so any issues they have are probably
relevant here. That way things are centralized for the upstream
developers as well == more attention to the report.

Thanks,
Cole