[et-mgmt-tools] Looking for Guidance on Various virt-manager Bug Reports

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Sep 9 21:42:11 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 09, 2008 at 01:59:39PM -0500, Richard Laager wrote:
> A few weeks ago, I re-installed a server with Ubuntu Hardy and thus
> started using virt-manager for the first time. Previously, we were using
> VMWare Server. FWIW, we only have a couple of virtual machines running
> at the moment.
>
> In doing so, I filed a pile of bug reports. Some of these are trivial
> text nitpicks. Some are feature suggestions, etc. I'm looking for
> feedback on them. I should be able to write patches for at least the
> trivial stuff here, if not some of the more in-depth things, but I want
> to know that the *ideas* are good before I waste time implementing.
> (And, if they're stupid, let's close some bug reports!)
>
> You should be able to see them at the URL below. I used tinyurl because
> the Launchpad URL was several lines long when wrapped.
> http://tinyurl.com/6cwp7f
>
> I'll take comments here or on the bug reports, whichever you would
> prefer.
>
> Thanks,
> Richard
>
> P.S. If some of these are distro-specific, I understand. The distro
> maintainer is short on time and suggested I come here because he can't
> afford to deviate from upstream much. Plus, many or most of these will
> apply upstream.

Basically my guidance for filing bug reports depends on how much time &
skill the bug reporter has to spend. If you can only spare time to report
the bug and need someone else to work through getting it fixed upstream
then file it with your OS distro & let their maintainers deal with it.

If you have the free time or technical skill & interest to actually work
on a fix yourself, then file it directly with in the upstream project's
bug tracker.  The latter will ensure it gets into upstream codebase at
the soonest opportunity, though the OS distro will likely then wait till
next upstream release till they pull the fix in.

As to whether its a distro specific bug or not - just use your reasonable
judgement - the worst that can happen is that bug can be moved from the
distro to upstream bug tracker, or vica-verca. Just getting a bug report
filed is the most important bit so there's somewhere to track the issue.

Regards,
Daniel