[et-mgmt-tools] RFC: virt-manager: Redesigned 'New VM' wizard

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Mar 3 17:39:13 UTC 2009

Bryan Kearney wrote:
> Cole Robinson wrote:
>> Bryan Kearney wrote:

>>> Networking being "hidden" seems a bit odd here. In a decent number of
>>> the cases I have used the tool in (not all) i wanted to select this. It
>>> it possible to show this information on the summary, and then have them
>>> click into advanced to set it?
>>>

>> In the times you were changing the default network selection, what was
>> the reason? Choosing from more than one virtual net or bridge? Just
>> curious.
>
> I had a specific bridge I wanted it to use. Normally.. I want it to use
> default, but in 2 use cases I have specific bridges which I want them to
> use.
>

>> The reasoning here is we want the UI to be as simple as possible for the
>> out of the box user, which at most has 1 virtual network (and 1 bridge
>> device if using xen networking). For these users, we don't want them to
>> concern themselves with the default, we want it to 'just work'
>
> I agree. Which is why I wonder can you show that in the review step..
> and then have them click to edit.

I'm iffy on it. For users that expect it to just work, I'd rather not
show anything, since they should have no reason to be concerned with it.
For users that have specific networking needs, they will likely be
changing the default anyways, so no need to explicitly show it outside
of 'Advanced Options'. Also, the info would be a duplicate of what's
listed below the 'Advanced Options' tab, which is needlessly redundant.

That said it's a pretty minor thing to add, I guess we will just see if
people trip up on it.

I suppose if anything goes 'wrong' in choosing a default ('default'
network isn't present or is inactive, no networks or bridge devs) we
could expand the 'Advanced Options' tab automatically which would
hopefully prompt the user to examine the choice.

Thanks,
Cole