[et-mgmt-tools] Need help for thesis on Xen - disabling HAP for benchmarking purposes

Alexander Sascha sascha.mail at web.de
Tue Mar 24 08:03:18 UTC 2009

Hi,

I'm a German student, writing my thesis on "Virtualization with Xen.
Analysis and Comparision of Different Techniques such as
Paravirtualization, Full Virtualization, and Utilization of Hardware
Support Provided by the Processor".

I'd like to know how I can disable HAP/RVI/Nested Paging for
benchmarking purposes. I read somewhere
(http://markmail.org/message/bbnivuqx6vjz7jg4) that Xen developers
decided to disable the global grub parameter introducing a per domain
flag for HAP instead (hap=0/1).

I used virt-manager built in CentOS for setting up all domUs;
virt-manager uses libvirt so that no "old-style" configuration files are
stored in /etc/xen. I actually don't know how if libvirt-XML-files
already support somethin like <hap>0</hap>. How would you proceed  to
modify an already existing domain using  virt-manager?

I really do apologize for my "newbie ignorance". Thanks in advance for
any useful help.

- Alex