Re: RFC: ext3 ability to syslog actions

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 15, 2000 at 04:16:26PM -0500, Douglas J. Hunley wrote:
> Forgive me if this has been discussed. I'm new to the list and couldn't
> find any list archives or a FAQ or anything similiar. (Is there
> anything?)
>
> I've just today installed ext3 .5d in my machine. All drives (including
> '/'). I like it! However, I'm curious about what it's doing. I don't
> know C, so telling me to read source won't help. I'm wondering if it
> would make sense to provide a facility (probably at the VFS level so
> that all filesystems could use it) to allow a filesystem to report on
> what it is doing through the syslog facility. This ability would of
> course, default to 'off' but would be enabled by 'cat 1 >
> /proc/fs/syslogging' or some similar manner.

Try "echo n > /proc/sys/fs/jfs-debug".  It will send ext3 diagnostics
out for various things.  A level of 1 or 2 just provides info on the
basic operations of commiting or checkpointing transactions, but
anything above that will provide far more than you ever wanted to know
about what ext3 is doing inside!