Re: converting / to ext3-0.0.5d

Joachim, you write:
> Unfortunately there's still one problem after converting the
> journal:
>
> When the system is up I can't see a strange behaviour, but
> during each boot-process of my RH7-Box I receive the following
> message (Only root-partition, /home-partition works fine):
>
> Checking root filesystem
> Ext3 journal superblock is corrupt
>
> FIXED
>
> The ext2 superblock is corrupt: no valid journal
> superblock found

You should probably get the most recent version of the e2fsprogs from
sourceforge, and verify that the problem still exists.  For some reason
e2fsck does not understand that there is a new version of the superblock,
and thinks it is corrupt.  The other possibility is that there is a bug
in e2fsck (or in the kernel) which writes out a slightly wrong format of
journal superblock, and the other one doesn't understand it.

What _should_ happen is that if e2fsck does not understand the journal
superblock it should refuse to change it, or it could fall back to the
mount/unmount method of recovering the journal.  In this case, it is
actually not a problem that e2fsck is resetting the journal, because
when the root fs is mounted, the kernel does the journal recovery for us,
and resets the journal itself.  It should still be looked at, however.

Cheers, Andreas