Re: converting / to ext3-0.0.5d

Joachim writes:
> I'm currently using the e2fsprogs-1.20 and I didn't find newer ones.

Actually, 1.20 is work-in-progress (WIP), so there are changes being
made to 1.20 every week or two.  You need to also check the date stamp.

> What I don't understand is, why my /home-partition don't cause
> any problems here and my /-partition does. That makes in my eyes
> absolutely no sense, why it works fine with the first partition and not
> with the second one. The only difference was, that I converted the
> /-partition later than my /home-partition and I fsck'd the /home-partition
> directly after re-mounting the partition.

Actually the root filesystem is "recovered" by the kernel when it is first
mounted, so e2fsck should always say "clean" unless it has an error or it
reached the maximum mount count.  On the other hand, /home is recovered
by e2fsck.

> How can I verify, if e2fsck does not understand the journal superblock?
> /var/log/messages doesn't 'provide' me with more error-messages.

I have not yet converted my root filesystem to "ordered" from "data"
journalling.  I've only converted some other filesystems to do testing.
It looks like I need to do a new backup and then convert my root filesystem
to "ordered" and see if I get the same problem.

Cheers, Andreas