Converting / to ext3.

My guinea pig laptop has only a / partition, and a small /boot
partition.  I installed the ext3 kernel succesfully (I think).  Now, how
do I get / converted to ext3?  I'm thinking:

* Use mkbootdisk on a floppy, to create a boot disk with the ext3 kernel.

* Boot off the floppy.

* Follow the instructions to convert / to ext3.

* Change the filesystem type in /etc/fstab to ext3.

* Reboot.

Will this work?

--
Sam