Re: root-partition

On Wed, 1 Nov 2000, Adrian Likins wrote:

> 	At least at one point, an easier way to do this
> existed. Someone correct me if this doesnt work with
> the current ext3 stuff, as I havent actually tried it.
>
>:Paraphrasing from an email from Mike Wangsmo:
>
> 	lilo -R KERNEL_IMAGE_NAME_HERE rw rootflags=journal=INODE_HERE
>
> 	INODE_HERE is the inode number of the journal file.
>

> 	On the next boot it will use the root flags, and create
> the journal file.
>
> 	At least, thats supposed to work.

Here's how I did it:

dd if=/dev/zero of=journal.dat bs=20M count=1

This creates a 20meg journal file in one write().  ext2 will try to
allocate a single continuous block when you do that -- that's been my
experience.

chattr +i
ls -i

then I edited /etc/fstab, and changed /'s type to ext3.  Then I reboot.

At the lilo prompt, I manually type:

linux single rw rootflags=noload,journal=#

there was a noticeable delay when / was mounted, while the journal was
being initialized.  The delay may not be noticeable on a fast machine --
this was a mere P-200 laptop.

initscripts now ended up dumping me into shell even before single user
mode, because / was mounted read-write, and the remount failed.  I think
it should be possible to leave out the rw flag, and create the journal
even if / is mounted readonly, so you go into single-user mode
cleanly.  Either way, you get a shell.

Now, edit /etc/lilo.conf, and add this:

        append="rootflags=journal=#"

Run "lilo".  I had a /boot partition and I was drop-kicked into
the shell, so I had to temporarily mount /boot.

Now, you should be able to boot with an ext3 / partition.

--
Sam