kernel oops

Hi,

This is probably way far unsupported, but here goes:

I had been running ext3 0.0.3b for a while and found that I wanted to
convert back to ext2 so I could still play with 2.4test kernels.

Here is what I did:

	1) boot the machine with kernel args init=/bin/bash

	2) run debugfs on the root partition to remove the have_journal
ext2 feature flag.

	3) remount the root filesystem rw as ext2

Kernel Oopsville at that point. Why does ext3 even bother journaling when
the filesystem is ro?

	4) edit /etc/fstab so that / is ext2

	5) sync the disks and reboot.

	6) boot the machine with kernel args init=/bin/bash

	7) fsck the / partition manually.

Believe it or not, this worked fine except for the kernel Oops.

The machine is fine now, running 2.4.0test10 (I'm using it as I type).

--Matt

--
"In Tyler We trust."