Re: root-partition

Hi Stephen,

"Stephen C. Tweedie" schrieb:

> Hi,
>
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2000 at 11:25:54PM +0100, Joachim Kunze wrote:
> >
> > Afterwards I used the following command:
> >
> > /sbin/lilo -R linux_ext3 rw rootflags=journal=2828
> >
> > I receive the following message:
> >
> > EXT3-fs: error (device ramdisk(1,0)): ext3_get_inode_loc: bad inode
> > number: 2828
> > EXT3-fs: invalid journal file
>
> That simply indicates that "2828" was not the number of a valid inode
> when ext3 came to build a journal on your root partition.

That's what I also thought, but with

#ls -i

I get the result

2828 /journal.dat

> > EXT3-fs: get root inode failed
> > EXT3-fs: Unrecognized mount option journal
> > kernel panic ...
>
> Known problem, fixed since 0.0.4b I think (it's impossible to be
> certain it is the same problem if you don't supply the kernel oops
> trace).

I don't get a kernel oops. The only message I get is:

kernel panic:VFS: Unable to mount rootfs on 01:00

and no more tracing is possible - or what do I have to do to get more
results?
SysRq also didn't function.

> The current development tree still has a few problems of its
> own to be ironed out, but once I release 0.0.5 this should be fixed.
> The fix simply removes the oops when you perform a journal-create on
> an illegal inode, though: it doesn't automatically stop you from
> specifying the wrong inode in the first place!

I already set up ext3 on the root-partition of two further machines and
it works pretty well there, but on this machine I couldn't set it up,
because of this error.

Any suggestions?

cheers,

Joachim

--
Joachim Kunze
Alte Marktstrasse 16   Tel.: +49-7042-830006