Re: I am confused

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 08:46:17PM -0500, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > which would, probably, suffer under load.  From past experience I knew how
> > to create a largely unfragment journal file:
> >
> > dd if=/dev/zero of=journal.dat bs=20M count=1
>
> Doing such a write all at once will be no different,
> fragmentation-wise, from creating it using 20,000 1k writes.

Every time I install a new kernel, I always do this to rewrite both the
kernel image and the initrd files in /boot.  LILO always ends up loading
the kernel much faster.  The -v -v -v -v option lists the block numbers of
each file.  I can see that afterwards the block numbers are almost always
consecutive, while before they were all over the place.

--
Sam