Re: increasing the size of the journal data file

Ulisses writes:
> I'm running succesfully 2.2.19pre13ext3
>
> as mentioned in the subject line, I would like to increase the journal file
>
> I have the jfs/* and ext3/* files and I believe that:
>

> + asigning a new journal (-o journal=[new inode or increased inode])
> data can solve it

You also need to add "noload" flag, or it will continue to use old journal.

> + increasing the actual file _appending zeroes_ to it can be used to increase
> it online, however the new space will not be used _until next mount_

No, it will not check for more space in the journal.  You need to do
"noload, journal=<old journal inum>" to have it re-create the journal.

You can also do "tune2fs -O ^has_journal; e2fsck <dev>; tune2fs -J <new_size>"
to delete and re-create the journal.

> PD: I think it would be cool to add this info to ext3 related readme files

Out of curiosity, why do you want a larger journal?

Cheers, Andreas