Re: EXT3 Worries

On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Frédéric L. W. Meunier wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 1, 2001, at 14:21:04 +0100 Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
>
> >> 2) Is there a projected period when you suspect it will be
> >> added to the Linus version of the kernel, and be available in
> >> all distributions (not just RH)?
>
> > That's up to Linus, but I'll be pushing for it in 2.5.
>
> 2.5 ? Then various distributions won't include it before 2.6
> ! Mainly because they don't patch the Kernel like Red Hat and
> others.

That's merely lack of time, or even incompetence, on the
part of the people building the distro.

> Waiting ~2 years to have it as an option isn't good,

Then use a better kernel package, most distros DO patch
their kernel with various useful things.

In fact, kernel RPMS with ext3 should be available from
most major distros within a few weeks...

regards,

Rik
--
Executive summary of a recent Microsoft press release:
   "we are concerned about the GNU General Public License (GPL)"

		http://www.surriel.com/
http://www.conectiva.com/	http://distro.conectiva.com/